Hi all. I'm hoping to get some input from those of you who are more knowledgeable and have more experience in the world of PCOS. First, a quick background on me. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago (25 years old) by a primary care physician. My symptoms were:
- Hirsutism
- Cystic acne
- Irregular periods, but cycles were always under 60 days
- Some lab results that were very very slightly high (free testosterone, cholesterol, DHEA sulfate)
- Not overweight
- No idea if I actually had any cysts
So, fast forward to 2 years ago, DH and I decide to start trying for a baby. No trying necessary, my first cycle of charting I was pregnant. Normal pregnancy except for Gestational Diabetes (ugh!).
Ok, so now that my son is 18 months old and I've been done breastfeeding for about 4 months, my symptoms have changed slightly. Acne is pretty much gone, so far my periods are relatively normal, not super predictable but my last cycle was 30 days. But, I think the hirsutism is worse. So I made an appt with a new OB to discuss having labs done to see where my hormone levels are at this point, and I want to know if I'm dealing with IR. I ended up seeing a NP because Dr. was running really late and she basically told me that there really isn't a reason to do labs because I've already been diagnosed and I'm not IR because I'm thin, and BCPs will be the answer either way.
Here's where I need some advice. I was a little annoyed during the appt that she wasn't entertaining the idea of doing labs and jumped straight to BCPs (and possible Spiro if hirsutism doesn't get better). On one hand, I want to go back and see the OB to get a second opinion and see if he'll be more open to my request; but on the other hand, I wonder if I should try the BCPs and see what happens (with the bonus of not being paranoid about using condoms). I already know that I should be watching my carbs and exercising, whether I am IR or not, and I really just want to decrease the hirsutism, and if BCPs do that, then why not.
Sorry this got so long. What do you experienced ladies think? Should I go back and push for labs, or just accept the fact that I have PCOS and start trying treatments, with BCPs being the first stop? TIA!!
- Hirsutism
- Cystic acne
- Irregular periods, but cycles were always under 60 days
- Some lab results that were very very slightly high (free testosterone, cholesterol, DHEA sulfate)
- Not overweight
- No idea if I actually had any cysts
So, fast forward to 2 years ago, DH and I decide to start trying for a baby. No trying necessary, my first cycle of charting I was pregnant. Normal pregnancy except for Gestational Diabetes (ugh!).
Ok, so now that my son is 18 months old and I've been done breastfeeding for about 4 months, my symptoms have changed slightly. Acne is pretty much gone, so far my periods are relatively normal, not super predictable but my last cycle was 30 days. But, I think the hirsutism is worse. So I made an appt with a new OB to discuss having labs done to see where my hormone levels are at this point, and I want to know if I'm dealing with IR. I ended up seeing a NP because Dr. was running really late and she basically told me that there really isn't a reason to do labs because I've already been diagnosed and I'm not IR because I'm thin, and BCPs will be the answer either way.
Here's where I need some advice. I was a little annoyed during the appt that she wasn't entertaining the idea of doing labs and jumped straight to BCPs (and possible Spiro if hirsutism doesn't get better). On one hand, I want to go back and see the OB to get a second opinion and see if he'll be more open to my request; but on the other hand, I wonder if I should try the BCPs and see what happens (with the bonus of not being paranoid about using condoms). I already know that I should be watching my carbs and exercising, whether I am IR or not, and I really just want to decrease the hirsutism, and if BCPs do that, then why not.
Sorry this got so long. What do you experienced ladies think? Should I go back and push for labs, or just accept the fact that I have PCOS and start trying treatments, with BCPs being the first stop? TIA!!
Not sure where to go from here...
0 التعليقات:
إرسال تعليق